Friday, November 06, 2015

Homespun Fall by the Fireside


At some point recently, I saw this adorable scene on Pinterest and it kept swirling around in my mind begging to become a reality over our weekend! We don't participate in Halloween and to be honest, I've never really known what to do that evening that is still fun for our family and not scary/spooky.

I had really wanted to set this up on our driveway and be out with our neighbors who might be out celebrating Halloween just so they could stop by and have cider, make a s'more and visit - but in the end due to various things/recent circumstances, we decided family time was what we needed most.


We have been unusually busy lately - really, too busy. And, we're not sure what needs to happen at this point. But with that, I was really not feeling good last Saturday - exhaustion had set in deep and all I wanted to do was crawl under the covers and sleep. I'm glad I just sort of piddled my way through setting this up and carrying it out because it turned out to be a lot of fun, a great new memory and I felt physically better after than I had before.

Pumpkins had been carved a couple of nights before, apple cider was on sale and I scrounged the yard for a few toasting sticks - voila! {Emily requested an owl for her pumpkin, Rachel wanted a bumble bee and Samuel is super in to Minecraft - so his is a Creeper - I think I got coolest mom ever points for that last one!}

We always enjoy talking about how God chooses us just like we pick those pumpkins out of the pumpkin patch, cleans out the icky stuff and puts His light inside of us and creates something new and wonderful instead.

Candy Corn printable alphabet for garlands is here.

Hot dogs were roasted, cider sipped, popcorn popped and then on to s'mores!




















4 comments:

Mom said...

Fun, fun, fun! This is so you - adorable in every way! :)
What a great family night!

Tina Leigh said...

Wow what a great idea. The pumpkins look good. I couldn't figure out the owl until it was lit and that is awesome! Never seen snores like that...wayyy toooo gooood. Looks like yall had a good time. Hopefully we will both get some cooler weather here by Sunday! Hope things slow down for ya.

Mary Ann said...

So fun! Filing these kind of ideas away for the future! I much prefer celebrating fall/harvest to Halloween.

*carrie* said...

Glad it turned out to be a lovely evening. Your display is so cute.

I don't know what Minecraft is, but Nathan has some friends who are into it.