Monday, October 10, 2011

Days of Beauty: In our Hearts

1 Peter 3:3-4,
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

Inner beauty.

It is such a high calling and the place we want to start with God each day. When we invest in time alone with Him - He cultivates and creates and tends this inner place in us that can bloom with beauty over time.

You know, I don't believe that outer beauty is wrong. I'm a woman and I want to feel beautiful. I want to feel good in what I wear, to put on a little makeup and to care for myself and feel good about myself. But, if I don't invest in my inner self - it will only be a facade. It won't be real.

Outer beauty is just that - simple and outer. It has no depth. No character is involved (aside from making wise choices about adorning myself). It doesn't last - it is constantly requiring upkeep or cleaning or changing or laundering.

Inner beauty is deep. It is lovely. It is spiritual and personal and reflects a beautiful relationship that we have. Inner beauty radiates from our eyes and smiles and hearts. It enhances our outer beauty. It adds depth to our person and to our lives.

Outer beauty without inner beauty does not have the same softness, the same warmth, the same eternal value.

To make one investment in my beauty each day - there is no better place to start than in a place of quiet reflection, in His Word, listening to His heart, believing His truths.

To read more on having a gentle and quiet spirit - go here.

For more on gentleness - visit here or here.

Pictures: a new shelf in my Living Room filled with little pieces already around my home!

7 comments:

angie said...

My husband has always been intentional in telling our daughter, "You are beautiful on the inside....and out." (with the emphasis on the inside)
I would have assigned those exact same words to the collections in the metal baskets. Those peeks at your new shelf look really interesting.

Elaine said...

Totally blessed by today's post. I lead a Bible study and our topic this week is embracing your beauty! Thanks for the post!!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder! "Gentle and quiet spirit", that is what I will meditate on today :)

Mary Ann said...

So true! Thanks for sharing.

Leena Lloyd said...

A pic is worth a thousand words and how true the post is..Thank you. I was reminded how I get caught up in the chase after outward beauty and neglect the inner..

Leena Lloyd said...

Beautiful post. Very thought provoking- especially your baskets. Am reminded that I need Gods help to groom my inner beauty ..

Sarah Whitworth said...

I am a regular reader and an irregular commenter--I love these baskets and their meanings. What a great word picture. Thanks for all the encouragement you offer. I appreciate it!