Monday, January 04, 2010

Leigh Anne Tuohy

Last week, David and I had a rare chance to go to a movie in the middle of the afternoon! My Dad is still here helping us with projects around the house (yeah!) and David had some time off work. We went to see The Blind Side - have any of you seen it?

I love movies based on true stories - and I really liked this one as well. As we left, I was just so inspired by the mom in the story - I admired her and wished I could be more like her.

I admired the fact that she was not ashamed of her choices. Having lunch with her girl friends - she was willing to even say she did not need their approval. She was doing the right thing and whether or not they approved, she asked for their respect. Wow - I would genuinely love to be unconcerned with what others thought of me if I knew I was doing the right thing.

I admire her self-assurance. The way she talks to Michael, yet respects him. Wow - I just loved how she was willing to do anything for him and how it changed and edified her family in the process.

I admire the way she gives. She gives and she gives BIG! Yes, the resources were there - and those are the people that I am so thankful have the resources. Ones who are willing to give big.

I admire the way she was willing to be corrected. When she was wrong, she dealt with it and made things right.

I admire how real she is. She did not hide anything - she said what she was thinking and therefore she made a difference. She was one of those people who you knew where you stood with, you knew who she was based on what you saw and heard. She was the real thing.

I admire that she was not intimidated in the face of standing up for her family or what was right. I find myself backing down so often because of intimidation, whether real or imagined. So, I really admire those who aren't afraid to stand up for someone else or something else. Nothing stopped her - she never backed down.

She just left me with a lot to think about in the realm of reaching out and being willing to do something big for someone else. Do I think she was perfect? Of course not. Did she inspire me to want to be watchful for opportunity? Absolutely.

How about you? If you've seen this movie - how did Leigh Anne inspire you? Or, tell me about someone who has inspired you!

14 comments:

angela said...

I have not seen the movie, since I can't get out right now, but I did see an interview with the family on TV. They said that Sandra Bullock nailed her personality. What you saw in the movie is really how she is in real life.

Cheryl said...

Hi Monica!
Our family went to see the movie together and it was a packed house. We enjoyed the movie. I also admire Leigh Anne's straightforwardness and big heart.
We should all be open and ready for opportunities to be the hands and feet of the Lord.
Sometimes I dream of living in a smaller home. Just so we wouldn't have the high cost of extra expenses. Where we would save, we would use the money to help those less fortunate. So often folks need money to on a mission trip or just need some money to get groceries. If we all, myself included were better stewards of our money, we could joyfully give to these people who are in need.
Leigh Anne had the resources and for her she didn't have to think about it, she just did it. Kudos to her.

Mom said...

I keep hearing good things about this movie and hope to see it soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it and have thought about the ways you admire the mother in the movie. And I'm glad Dad was there to babysit the littles so you could go! Love you, Mom

Crystal said...

I just saw this movie on Saturday with my husband. We had not been to a movie in 3 years and I was so glad we chose this one. I laughed and cried. I loved the way she was so open and straighforward. I wonder would I handle things as grand as she did if God put this in my lap? I sure hope so. But I also know I need to slow down and look around me more. Who knows what opportunities I have missed to help out.

Anonymous said...

Being from Memphis (until I moved in September), I was so happy to see something positive be said about someone from my hometown!

I loved this movie...it has stuck with me since I saw it in November. Since then I have been reflecting on who God made me to be and not changing myself to make another happy. As long as I do things that will please my Savior I should not alter who I am.

Jenny Goldsby
jennibek@gmail.com

Lauren said...

I would love to go see that movie! I love things that inspire me. I think that is why I love reading Amish books because they make me want to simplify my life more or move back to the basics. Anyway....you may be surprised but the person who inspires me is....you! I have been reading your blog for years and I love how you are a wonderful mom and wife and you give to others which teaches your children about God's love! Many times I have ideas of things I would like to do such as crafts or making the kids pancakes into shapes ect... but I don't make the time to do them. Anyway....thanks for inspiring many of us out there in blogland :o)

Lauren(In Savannah)

MrsCoach said...

Hey Monica! This story sure strikes a chord because my husband is a High School football coach! What a great story it is! Don't know if you saw it, but 20/20 did a full show featuring this family and their true story... here's a link to see the show:
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/BlindSide/

Anonymous said...

My husband and I got to see this just this past weekend, which is rare us! It was a wonderful movie, and I was so inspired by her as well. I tend to suffer from the same afflictions as you, feeling intimidation, whether real or imagined. I also thought about how it had to impact everyone who saw it. The major dividing line is those who will not forget, but who will continue to evaluate the ways that they can make a difference, much like God's word. We don't forget what it says, but we put it into action. :) I pray that each of us will have the courage to put it into action, for God's glory!

It's a Mom Thing said...

I thought the movie was great! It is really hard to find a movie these days that really tells a story and is worth watching. THis one definitely was! I love the way Leigh Anne Tuohy saw an opportunity, felt the nudge(I think by the Lord), and took it. So many of us just brush off that hint of discernment we feel when presented with an opportunity. But she went with it. And blessed so many in the process!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

We missed seeing the movie due to a blizzard, but I've heard wonderful reviews of it and want to see it when it comes out.

Because of you I saw Sarah's Choice. What a wonderful movie. My boys watched it with us and now I want my youth group girls to watch it. I wish I could show it to all the students at school!

Debra said...

I am glad to hear this was a good one. I want to see it but just haven't yet. I have seen the family on several shows lately and they sound like wonderful people. I, too, would like to be more like Leigh Anne. I am certainly not as straightforward as I would like to be. She is quite an inspiration.

Bev said...

I saw the movie, LOVED it, and like you was much inspired by the mother in the movie. I also loved that the husband respected her enough to let her be herself and supported her in that. Great movie!

Charlotte Cushman said...

Loved this movie too. Left thinking ...we need to adopt!

Mom said...

Monica, I'm glad you reminded me to come back and look at this post now that we've seen this movie. Your observations mirror my own about Leigh Anne Tuohy. I think the only thing she did that I thought was not a good choice -- though it worked for her -- was to talk back to the guy in the bad neighborhood. I understood why she did it, but it could have had a disastrous outcome. Like you, I admired the way she was assertive, yet respectful and the way she expected her friends to respect her choices/actions even though they obviously disagreed. (I have found that as I get older, I care less and less what other people think -- so have hope that you can/will get there, too!)
I had to laugh when she said there was no way she was going to wear orange (the Tennessee color) because it wasn't in her color wheel! :)
I agree with the person who commented here about Sean Tuohy and how he accepted his wife and made it possible for her to follow through on her convictions. And I thought the comment from the person who said you inspire her was lovely! :)
Lots of love, Mom