Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Feelings Exactly

What Mothers Cannot Do

Lord,
in this frenzied puttering
around the house,
see more!
The dusting,
straightening,
muttering,
are but the poor
efforts of a heavy heart
to help time pass.
Praying on my knees
I get uptight;
for hearts and lives
are not the only things
that need to be
put right.

And, while I clean,
please,
if tears should fall,
they're settling the dust,
- that's all.
Lord, I will straighten
all I can
and You -
take over what we mothers
cannot do.

~ Ruth Bell Graham

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

Isn't it a blessing that God can take our efforts and make them into something more??

I have always liked Ruth Bell Graham's poetry -- thanks for sharing this one. :)

Love, Mom

Alycia said...

Dear Monica,

I enjoy your blog so much. What a beautiful prayer ~ I am going to print it out to place in my kitchen. Have a wonderful day and as always, thanks for sharing!

Blessings, from Japan.

Anonymous said...

This prayer can also be said for working moms all over too. We also have heavy hearts as we go about our day. Many would rather be home instead of working full time, then comeing home to all that is needed there. May the Lord bless us all. Thanks for sharing.

Paige said...

I heard Nancy Lee DeMoss say this once (I loosely quote)"We do not have enough hours in the day to get what we want done. We do have enough hours in the day to do what God has for us."

Kelley said...

What a beautiful and inspiring and encouraging blog you have!
Thank you for sharing this poem... it was wonderful!
Have a blessed day!