Monday, May 14, 2007

Library Bag

I just saw this idea in the June issue of Martha Stewart Living. It was so simple and I only had to purchase the bias tape - the fabric was left from a previous project. Apparently there is a pattern for this on her website, but I could not ever find it, so just cut this out free-hand. (The pattern is there today.) You finish off each edge with bias tape and then sew around the outside with bias tape. Easy! I think this will become my library bag to keep track of our books to and from the library. There are two pockets on the front (where each type of fabric starts) and the options are endless, you could create any type of bag you are looking for. They suggest using canvas and I did since I had some on hand. You can find complete directions here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, I am so glad that you shared this bag with us today. I have been searching for a pattern to make one for about a month and not seen one made up this cute. I am so excieted to make mine. I will also use mine for the library. I have worn out our other bag. Thanks Jenny

Lisa said...

What a beautiful bag. I bought a very inexpensive back pack to use for library books. I like you idea much better.

Blessings

*carrie* said...

Good job, Monica!

I also looked up the Land's End items--very cute--and am curious to know what you decide.

love, carrie

Anonymous said...

Cute!

3boysmama said...

Great idea and sounds pretty easy. It would be good for the beach with the pockets.

It's a Mom Thing said...

LOVE it!

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

super fun! And you did really well BTW. I prefer free handed stuff myself (of course I measure!). Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love toile!! Love your bag!! I am curious to know what you made with the toile first...I love your blog and I think you are so inspiring to make everyday special, not just a holiday. Elise

Chrissy said...

I'm all about toille! You did a great job!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Elise - a friend had asked me to make her a purse out of this fabric. She bought the fabric and I made the purse, but there was quite a bit leftover!

Amy said...

Very nice! I saw this and thought about doing that too! Great job!