Thursday, May 10, 2007

Blessing Basket

When my sister got married, I wanted to give them really practical and useful items - but wanted the gift to be meaningful as well.

I looked at their registry and then at a concordance and here is what I came up with:

Glade: Fragrance of Christ
II Corinthians 2:14-16a, "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Chirst, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life." (NASB)

Glass Cleaner: Clear Vision
I Corinthians 13:12, "We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he know us!" (The Message)

Cascade: Purify and Cleanse
Daniel 11:35, "The testing will refine, cleanse, and purify those who keep their heads on straight and stay true, for there is still more to come." (The Message)

Palmolive: "Be Clean!"
Mark 1:41, "Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be clean!' (NIV)

Bounce Fabric Softener: Gentleness
Philippians 4:5, "Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." (NIV)

Pens: Heart Tablet
Proberbs 7:1-3, "My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you. Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart." (NIV)

Snausages: Reward
II Chronicles 15:7, "But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded." (NIV)

Mini Wheats: Bread of Life
John 6:35, "Jesus said, 'I am the Bread of Life. Ther person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever.'" (The Message)

Sponges: Cleanse Me
Psalm 51:2, "Scrub away my guilt, soak out my sins in your laundry." (The Message)

Laundry Basket: God's Laundry
Psalm 51:7, "Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean, scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life." (The Message)

Broom and Dust Pan: Clean Sweep
Luke 3:17, "He's going to clean house - make a clean sweep of your lives. He'll place everything true in its proper place before God; everything false he'll put out with the trash to be burned." (The Message)

I put everything into the laundry basket and tied the verses on with ribbons and fabric scraps. Practical and meaningful!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, such a thoughtful gift for your sister. I love to give useful gifts. I will keep this idea in mind.
Thanks for sharing, TamaraP. in North Carolina

*carrie* said...

We loved this idea! As you know, my favorite gifts are those that are both fun and practical--as well as creative. Way to go! love, me

Mary Ann said...

This is really cute! I'm printing this out to maybe use later myself.:-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea. Note to self: Remember this for the next bridal shower you go to...
Blessings!

Jthemilker said...

I'm sorry but I may someday need to steal your idea. This is REALLY thoughtful and so practical. I love it!

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

What a sweet & clever gift idea!!

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea! I'm printing it out and will use it some day. Thanks for this. It will be used often.