Thursday, February 01, 2007

Yeah!

I have been SO disappointed that Wal-Mart is closing their craft and fabric department. I wrote a letter recently just telling them I was sorry they had decided this and that it really was a hardship on customers who live in small towns and have no other options.

Last night, I went to get some ribbon (thinking all the way that it was so sad they were closing it) and I asked the employee how long it would be open and if they would have a sale. She pointed me to a sign that said they have decided to keep our craft/fabric department open. It sounds like it is not ALL the stores - but you might check with your store and see if they have changed their mind.

I am SO thankful! They are convenient and have good prices. What a blessing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was quite sad to see our fabric department close. I am glad that they are continuing to sell sewing notions as that is what I make quick trips to Wal-mart for more often than for fabric.:-) The lady at our store said that the Wal-mart in a neighboring town will keep their fabric department open for another year, probably. That's great about yours!

Lisa said...

I hope our fabric department doesn't close. I didn't realize that it might be a possibility.

I will have to check on this and get back to you.

Blessings
Lisa

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

What!!!??? I hadn't heard they were closing their craft department! I stop by there every. time. I. shop! (Which is at least once a week).
How did you hear about this?
The nearest craft shop to me is 40 minutes away (although, granted, it is a Crafter's trinity of Craft store, dollar store, and Hancock fabrics all next door to each other, only one parking spot needed.
How do I know if *my* craft shop is closing?
Mama Says

Monica Wilkinson said...

Oh yes, Milehimama - they are phasing out all fabric and craft departments over the next two to three years according to our employees. I read about it on another blog and simply asked at our Wal-Mart. When she said it would be closing at the end of this month, I wrote a letter figuring it was a lost battle. Our next fabric stores are a good 45 minutes away as well which is why I was so disappointed.

You might just ask at the fabric counter at your Wal-Mart to find out if they are staying open. Because it sounds like it varies from store to store.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of this sad news!

theups said...

Yippee!!! I'm so glad that you shared this! I thought all of them were going to close their fabric department! I have hope!!

His,
Mrs. U

Jenn said...

Yes and it's a lot harder to buy fabric online when you cannot feel the items and such before buying. Then there's shipping...ugh!

jenn

Anonymous said...

Hi, Monica -- this is good news for you and I'm glad for you and your crafting friends!

Love, Mom