Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

As we begin a New Year - it is so easy to fill my mind with lists of things I want to accomplish, ways I want to grow, books I want to read and more. But, starting a bunch of things usually ends up in failure of most of them for me. So, I'm trying NOT to make resolutions! Though, it doesn't hurt to have goals - just not too much pressure.

With that said, I tried many years to read through the Bible in one year. It never stuck - because I got so behind that I could not catch up! I always struggled with this because I wondered how I would ever stand before my Heavenly Father one day and have to say that I didn't have the discipline it took to read through all the words He gave us. So, it continued to be a goal of mine to read through the Bible in one year.

When I worked at Glen Eyrie, we were each given a One Year Bible and encouraged to read through it together. This provided mutual motivation and encouragement! And, we were given opportunity to share what we were learning. Well, that year I DID IT! It was an amazing journey through God's Word and I have such fond memories of the experience, I'd like to try it again this year.

So, I'll probably be sharing here and there what jumped off the page and would love to hear from you too!

I do have some books I'd like to read this year (yes, this stack will take me at least one year) although I am not setting a one-book-per-month goal or anything like that. Shown here are the books I hope to complete this year.

I'd love to finish some projects, learn new things, and grow in my roles as wife, mom, sister, daughter, aunt (a new one!), child of God and friend.

I look forward to the journey ahead and to sharing it with you! As we face the days ahead - the best prayer that comes to mind is the one often quoted by Father Tim as "the prayer that never fails."

Your will be done.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy New Year to you also!


I too have read the Mitford books. They are by far my favorite series of books. I was so sad when she ended the series.

Have you ever read any of the Beverly Lewis books? She writes a lot of books about the Amish. They have become my second favortie series. If you haven't read them yet, try reading Abrahm's Daughters first.

Blessings this 2007!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I just completed THE TWO YEAR BIBLE
with the New Living Translation. I think was great. I learned a lot of things that I had never realized before with other translations. I highly recommend it. Billy Graham has made very positive comments about this translation.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Thanks, Lisa for the book suggestions! I'm always looking for new books to read that are worth reading! :)

Susan P. said...

Monica, you have some wonderful books picked out to read this year. My favorite is the one by Elizabeth George because she always speaks right to my heart. BTW, I am so excited you got Paula's cookbook! You will have tell "show and tell" us the first thing you make from it! Happy New Year! Love,Susan P.