Friday, December 08, 2006

Homespun Wrapping: Gift Cards

The idea for these little cuties was born one afternoon this week after my first idea did not work! I had determined NOT to spend anything to create wrappings for a few gift cards I am giving as gifts. So, I scrounged some felt scraps and got out my sewing machine! I experimented with different stiches, some have stitches showing and some were sewn and turned right side out. On one, the sewing machine decided to switch stitches mid-stream, but I left it and just decided to say, "it adds character!" I attached little bows and tags with a small safety pin.

To make:
Cut two pieces of felt scraps about 1/4 inch larger all around than gift card.
Cut a small shape or initial out of a contrasting color felt scrap.
Stitch straight down the middle of the shape onto the front of one piece of felt.
Stitch pieces together as desired leaving one edge open.
Make a bow and attach it and a tag with a small safety pin.
Cost: FREE! (Or, if you did choose to purchase the felt, they come in sheets at craft stores or Wal-Mart for 20 cents a sheet.)

5 comments:

Susan P. said...

You are so creative and talented! I always look forward to visiting because I always know I'm in for a "treat!"

Monica Wilkinson said...

Thank you, Susan! Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! These are just precious. Martha did a whole thing on her show recently using felt. I don't have any felt laying around here, but it has inspired me to go and pick some up so I won't be without it again :)

So cute!j

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica -- I love how you use your resources -- these are very cute. :)

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your site and wanted to congratulate you on having such wonderful ideas. Everything you make is so cute. I love your ideas.
Thanks