Wednesday, November 01, 2006

First Birthday Ideas

Since Emily's birthday is tomorrow, I've been thinking back to her special day last year! So, I thought I'd share some photos and a couple of ideas from that before moving on to this year!

I made a BUNCH of number ones by printing one off the computer and cutting it out for a template. For this cake, I glued two number ones to a wooden skewer and then had fun putting them in the cake at different intervals.

Then, I also made a special number one cake for Emily by printing out a very large number one and cutting it out. I laid it on top of a square 8x8 cake and cut around the one and then decorated it!

The theme of the ones continued with lots of them hanging from streamers I made. I punched a small hole in the top of the one and then strung them on curling ribbon. I also put some on individual ribbons and hung them from the light fixture. More ones were used on the table.


For the favors, I made little tags on the computer that used ones and Emily's name to put over the existing labels of play-dough and bubbles. I wrote this little poem and printed it out on a paper and included a penny from the year she was born:

2004 is the year of this penny,
also the year of the birth of Emily!
The 2nd of November
is a day we remember,
for the little bundle of love
sent down from Heaven above.
After just one year
we know she's a dear.
Her smile's a treat
and her heart is so sweet!
Hope your second year
is loaded with fun,
little Emily, now that you're one!

The favors were in little Winnie-the-Pooh first b'day bags (a freebie from Grammie!).

After her birthday, I made thank-you's on the computer using small photos of her from her birthday and at this age. David made a DVD "Year In Review" which included a photo slideshow and lots of mini movies - it was such a special thing to watch at her party!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember when Bennett turned one. It seems like just yesterday. He will be 4 on his next birthday (March 20) and it blows my mind how time has flown by.

Blessings
Lisa

Mary Ann said...

I love the idea of the using the numbers as the theme. Simple but rather classy at the same time. (I've been to many, many Elmo parties.LOL!!!)Just "knowing" Emily from seeing pics during the year- Wow! she has really changed a lot!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Yes, the time goes so quick! I always heard that - but now I believe it!

Grace, sorry you won't be here tomorrow to celebrate with us!

Mary Ann, Thanks! I liked the numbers too. We've tried to avoid cartoon characters all around in this home (except of course Bob and Larry on DVD!) I don't know if we'll be able to avoid it forever, but so far have done so. And, you're right she has changed a lot! :)