Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Peace

Recently I've been reading here and here about routine - and it has gotten me to thinking back to when Emily was a little baby.

I LOVE routine - I am so much more productive, more peaceful, and happier when I have a routine to follow. This is not to say that there is no room for flexibility - I'm just saying that the norm is some kind of routine.

Before Emily was born, I was very gung-ho on getting her on a routine, it all sounded so easy in theory. And, I was praying about this routine and reading God's Word and came across this:

"What shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-or at the most three - should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speakers should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of the prophets. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.

... But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."

I Corinthians 14:26-33 and 40

Ok, now I'm not wanting to get into any kind of debate about prophecy or speaking in tongues. But, this is what this passage spoke to my heart when I really needed it. God desires order in worship - chaos does not aid anyone in worship. He is desiring multiple people to be involved in the worship, but in a way that brings about order and peace.

What God spoke to my heart was that since order was so important in His house (the church), He desires to create order in my home as well. I knew then that I could pray about routine and peace in my home and be praying in accordance with His will for our family.

And, now - two years later, I can truly testify to His faithfulness in this area for our home. His peace has dwelt here faithfully and I am continually thankful for that! I am thankful for the comfort of the statement that He is a God of peace and not chaos!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Very well said, Monica. This was a very well-written post. I hadn't ever thought about the correlation between the church and our homes before. But it makes a lot of sense.Even before we were married, we prayed that our home would be one of His peace. God has answered that prayer! I love routine, too!:-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

What a blessing to read this post and to have seen firsthand your peaceful home.

I love you!

Mom