Thursday, March 09, 2006

Spaghetti Carbonara

Another new recipe I tried this past weekend from Everyday Food. It was very yummy even leftover and David liked it too! So, this one is a keeper!

Serves 4
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

1 pound spaghetti (we prefer fettucini)
8 ounces bacon (8 slices) cut 1 inch thick crosswise
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 large eggs
3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 c. half and half

1. Set a large pot of water to boil (for pasta). In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8-12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.

2. Salt boiling water generously; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.

4. Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg mixture. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine (heat from pasta will cook eggs). Serve immediatlely, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.

Note: After following all of these directions, I was very skeptical that the eggs were cooked, so put the whole bowl in the microwave for a minute or two. I felt better and knew I was not eating raw eggs in the process.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I think I'll try this for dinner tonight---I also want to make sure the eggs are cooked.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Kathryn, let me know what you thought!

Kathryn said...

Monica, we really enjoyed this recipe. I set mine back on teh stove fter I mixed it to cook a little longer. I checked a couple of other cook boos and Racheal Ray mixes a 1/2 cup of boiling pasta water into the egg mixture before draining the noodles. Joy of Cooking does something similar. It was really delicious and I made the leftovers into a spaghetti pie for the freezer. We'll just add sauce to it. Thanks--have a lovely day--I'm off to bake bread now.